Thursday, January 5, 2023

The Book, "Under God's Umbrella"- Thoughts on Chapter 2- Glimpses of God

 Worldviews

In Chapter 2, "Glimpses of God," I write about being given a great gift.  The gift I was offered as a young person was a way to understand this world and myself in it.  This was a worldview that reflected God's own perspective and purpose for His creation, and for me.  This world will offer us its own perspectives; we know this as a materialistic perspective or secular perspective on life.  I write about my encounters with these worldviews in Chapter 4. 

Had I not been given this God-perspective, and if it had not been built upon and reinforced in ways I writer about in Chapter 7, my life would have been greatly diminished and impoverished. That is as clear to me as the nose on my face (given that I have a "Hartley nose," that is saying something).  In fact, I think that would have been the end of my story, at least a story worth writing about. 

Chapter 2 talks about how this Godly worldview was conveyed to me.  It describes a confluence of four streams that let me know I was a child of God and an inheritor of something reaching far beyond this world and far bigger than myself.  Those four streams were: my Godly parents; my church family at St. Andrews, Mt. Pleasant; my schooling at Porter; and my experiencing Kanuga Conference Center as my "Thin Place" with God.

These early experiences were life-shaping, and I do not think at all that I am exaggerating to think that they were also life-saving experiences.  They gave me life in abundance as Jesus talks about in John10:10 (life to the full as some translations have it).   Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment