Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Choosing a Church Family

            It is hard to speak to why or how others choose a church family, but I can tell you how I choose.  I desire a community who will  be fellow travelers and with whom I can make my pilgrimage heavenward.   A church family should be a hospital for sinners, a place where everyone can be healed of the consequences of their sins and nurtured back to spiritual health.   I want a church family that loves unconditionally, without judging, and seeks to love and serve people right where they are.  Finally, I want a church that lives the Great Commission [Matthew 28] because the greatest thing we can do for another pilgrim is point the way. 

        These things are what good churches do, but none do it perfectly.  The reason is  that churches are communities that are full of redeemed sinners just like me.  

        It occurred to me a number of years ago that heaven is a community (we call it the Communion of Saints) and God Himself is a Community of Three; therefore, it should be no surprise that Christians are called into community with one another in this life.  It is like church families are dress-rehearsals for eternity.  Thus, ultimately, there is no such thing as a Lone Ranger Christian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment