Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Opening More and More to the Holy Spirit

The late Rev. Terry Fullam, the once Rector of St. Paul’s Church, Derien, Ct, upon first coming to that parish, expressed his overarching expectation for that congregation.  His expectation was that they will find themselves opening up more and more to the Holy Spirit, in which case they will find themselves growing and expanding in their relationship with God. 

As the Rector of Anglican Church of the Holy Trinity, I would like to claim Terry’s expectation as my own for this parish; that is, that they will be continually growing and expanding their relationship with God.   As their priest, they have expectations of me, one of which I hope is that I will assist them in living into this expectation I have of them.

Within the context of a church family, this expectation of an ever-expanding relationship with God has four growing edges-
1)      A growing intimacy with God in worship.

2)     A growing knowledge of God through study of the Scripture and the exploration of the things of the Kingdom.

3)      Growing in service to the Lord and in being Christ to the world around us.

4)     And a growing obedience to Christ in the Great Commission by introducing others to Christ and bringing others into the fellowship of God’s family.

It is very appropriate for them to expect much of me as their Rector, but God has called me to also expect much of them.   

Father Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment