Friday, May 23, 2014

A Vision for Youth Ministry

Building up the youth and young adult ministries in a parish family should be a stated priority.  A vision for youth ministry at Holy Trinity is articulated well in Steven Gerber’s book, The Fabric of Faithfulness.  

Youth ministry should give young people a place to explore both life and Faith.  It should introduce them to what we know as the  “Christian Worldview” (Christian understanding of Life and its meaning) for which our culture is offering very sobering alternatives.  Since a worldview is the foundation for living, we should support our young people in finding a Christ-centered way of life and claiming the Christian worldview as their own. 
 
 Additionally, youth ministry should answer questions for our young people such as…
         What does it mean to be made in the image of God?
        What do I believe about the world? Why do I believe it?
        How do I understand my place in the world?
        How do I connect what I believe with the way I live?
        What does it mean for me to live a “life of integrity?”
        How do I discover the right friends and mentors?
        How do I immerse myself in a supportive community?
        How do I passionately live for the sake of the Kingdom?
       How do I continue to grow in my discipleship of Christ?

1 comment:

  1. And what an amazing Youth Group this is! I don't know of any other Youth Group that supports missionaries by themselves! What y'all are doing is SO right and SO pleasing to the Lord! You are such a blessing to us.

    ReplyDelete