Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Encouragement

Romans 12:8 speaks of the spiritual Gift of Encouragement (also called the Gift of Exhortation).  The Gift of Encouragement is having a sensitivity and an attraction to those who are discouraged or struggling and involves motivating, encouraging, and consoling others as they move through the issues of this life and mature in their walk with the Lord. 

Barnabas in New Testament Scripture had the Gift of Encorurgaement.  His name actually means ‘Son of Encouragement.  Barnabas was the encourager of none other than St. Paul (Acts 9:27) and  mentor to St. Mark, the eventual author of the Gospel that bears his name.  Look at what God did with Barnabas’ Gift of Encouragement! 

How about you?  Do you have the Gift of Encouragement?  Are you attracted to those who are stuggling and feel called to walk with them through their difficulties?  Do you know how to patiently and gently push people forward through the challenges life presents to them?  

If this describes you, then you are a Barnabas.  If you do not have this gift but would like to, ask the Lord to give you this powerful and wonderful  Gift of Encouragement.                     
                                                                            
Fr. Rob

1 comment:

  1. I must because I seem to be the first on the list of who to call if something goes wrong. But that's ok if that is what God wants me to do. I am here for him and no one else. What ever God has planned for me it is better than any plan I could come up with. And I know no one else has my best interest at heart the way he does so no one elses plans for me would come even close to what he has in store for me. Thank you God for looking after me.

    ReplyDelete