Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lent

What does it mean to have a HOLY Lent?  The word “holy” means ‘set apart’.  So how will this season of Lent be ‘set apart’ by you?
 

I just read The Sword, the Anglican Diocese of the South’s Newsletter.  Bishop Foley is asking us to fast each Tuesday night at 6pm until Wednesday night at 6pm.  He has written an excellent article about it that I commend to you.  In it, he said something that really struck my heart:
 

“During your fast, read your Bible and pray about the issues in your personal life, your church, your community, and our nation. Ask God to reveal to you your sin. Ask God to grant you His wisdom.  Ask God to pour out His power on specific situations.  Let us use Lent to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
 

I was struck by, “Ask God to reveal to you your sin.”  This is what we want during Lent, to see our sin. We can be blind to those things we have seen in distorted ways and used to rationalize our behavior all year.  We want to be ‘right’ or do not want to have to forgive others, etc.  But during Lent, we are encouraged to address those

things that are out of line with God’s ways.  We need Him to open our eyes and to give us the courage to address them.
 

Will you ask God to reveal to you your sin?
Then I let it all out;
I said, "I'll make a clean breast
of my failures to God."
Suddenly the pressure was gone—
my guilt dissolved,
my sin disappeared.  
(Psalm 32:5 The Message Bible)

Pastor Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment